Maps, JBLM, and Other Links

Interactive (on line) Maps     

  1.  Beaches for shellfish harvesting
  2.  Blanchard State Forest   Bellingham, WA 
  3.  Bridle Trails State Park   Bellevue,WA
  4.  Bridle Crest Trail  Kirkland, WA
  5.  Capitol Forest roads and trails Thurston County
  6.  Cascade Trail - Skagit   County
  7. Centennial Trail -   Snohomish County (web link) Includes the   Whitehorse Trail, proposed and open
  8.  Centennial Trail -   Spokane (county web link, Friends of the Centennial Trail web link) NO horses on the Idaho section
  9.  Chehalis-Western, Yelm-Tenino trails   - Thurston County
  10.  Clark County Trails
  11.  Coal Mines Trail - Cle   Elum, Roslyn, Ronald
  12.  Colville National Forest Trails
  13.  Columbia Plateau Trail -   Spokane 
  14.   Farrel-McWhirter Park Trails  
  15.  Ferry County Rail Trail    "Kettle Falls International   Railway"
  16.  Fish Lake Trail - Spokane
  17.  Foothills Trail - Pierce   County (County Parks web link)
  18.  Gate to Belmore Trail -   Olympia/Rochester (not yet developed)
  19.  Gifford Pinchot National Forest   Trails
  20.  Green Mountain State Forest   (Kitsap County)
  21.  Ken Wilcox Horse Camp at Haney   Meadow
  22.  Iron Horse State Park/John Wayne   Trail (Idaho border) Web link, Columbia River east contact DNR (Southeast Region).
  23.  Island County Trails
  24.  Joint Base Lewis-McChord Training   Area boundaries Same map with parking locations shown.
  25.  King County Equestrian Trails
  26.  Klickitat Rail Trail - Klickitat   County - Lyle
  27.  Lewis and Clark State Park Trail
  28.  Moss Lake Natural Area   KCEHC link
  29.  Mount Rainier National Park Trails   ( map with camps)
  30.  Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest   Trails
  31.  North Cascades National Park Trails  
  32. North Kitsap County trail system (this is a link to an external map)
  33. Northwest Mountain Airports
  34. Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest   Trails
  35. Olympic Discovery Trail
  36. Olympic National Park and National   Forest Trails  
  37. Pacific Northwest Trail
  38. Putney & Saratoga Woods   Island County
  39.  Redmond Powerline Trail   KCEHC link
  40.  Redmond Ridge Trails KCEHC link
  41.  Redmond Watershed Trails KCEHC link
  42.  Ring Hill Forest KCEHC link
  43.  Sammamish River Trail KCEHC link
  44.  Shoreline Public Access
  45.  Similkameen Trail -   Oroville (county web link)
  46.  Snoqualmie Valley Trail KCEHC link
  47.  Soaring Eagle Park Trail System   KCEHC link
  48.  Tahuya State Forest
  49.  Taylor Mountain Trail System   (King County park) KCEHC link
  50.  Teanaway Community Forest
  51.  Tiger Mountain State Forest
  52.  Tolt Pipeline Trail KCEHC link
  53.  Soos Creek Trail System  KCEHC link
  54.  Umatilla National Forest Trails
  55.  Washington State Parks boundaries
  56.  Water Access points
  57.  Whistler Canyon Trailhead   with the Pacific Northwest Trail
  58.  Willapa Hills Trail
  59.  Yakima Skyline Trail     


JBLM - Joint base lewis - mccord




JBLM (Fort Lewis) access permits -  253-967-6371

For the general public, an enhanced drivers license PLUS one of the listed items is required along with your vehicle registration for access.

New change effective immediately! Call Range Control before driving to the gate. Non-military personnel at   Range Control are no longer allowed to complete your paperwork! Their phone number is 253-967-6371. You need to make sure someone authorized will be there when you go.

On-base Permit Location: Drive to the main gate (I-5 exit # 120) and go to the visitor center and obtain a day pass. That allows you onto the base so you can get to the area  access office, building T-4074, Area Access Office (Range Control), at the intersection of Stryker and Kaufman Avenues. Their phone number is 253-967-6371. Permits recorded message number is 253-967-6277. 

Cards are good for two years. Open Monday Thru Friday 9am to 5pm, Saturday and Sunday 8am to 2pm. Call ahead to confirm!

Google Map directions to   Building T-4074 once on base.

One additional note - when you do go, be sure you have the vehicle registration and vehicle license plate number (for the vehicle you will use to haul your horse trailer) with you. The trailer registration and license plate number is needed as well. You will also need your drivers license (photo ID) and you will be asked for your home address and phone number. If you have passengers when you visit the base for the purpose of obtaining a permit, they also should have ID on them as well or they will not be allowed to enter the base.

AND REMEMBER TO CALL JBLM EACH TIME YOU GO RIDING at 253-967-6277 (24 Hours) no earlier than 8:00am the day before. Provide name, permit number, training area, time in and estimated time out and what you will be doing.

Display your JBLM vehicle permit on the vehicle dashboard.

Emergency Fort number: 253-307-8215 or 911




WDFW - Scatter Creek Unit of the Scatter Creek Wildlife Area (WDFW link)

Used to access private timber lands west of the wildlife area. WDFW attempts to post notification at the trailhead regarding closure of the private lands.

WDFW horse trail map (please   stay on it and don't ruin it for others)
Port Blakley information link
Campbell Global contact information
Weyerhaeuser information - access fee required (lands to the north)


Washington   State Discover Pass


Lists of   lists "Ten Essentials", What to have in your first aid kit.

Learn More


Other links

Travel/Transporting into other States

CDL - In addition to health requirements you also need to be aware of the CDL (Commercial Drivers License) requirements for each state that you may be  traveling through. Each state varies. And each law enforcement officer or agricultural agent may have a different understanding of the regulations than their partner (there is a LOT of confusion out there!)

  In 1986, Congress passed the Federal Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act (FCMVSA/86). This law requires each State to meet the same minimum standards for commercial driver licensing. The states may have more stringent regulations of their own, but they may not lessen the standards.

  Why should this information be important to you? Fines for violating the Federal Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety Act requirements are high!

  Different officers/agents may interpret whether you fall into the "Commercial" category differently and this is mainly where the confusion enters the picture. If you make any kind of money off the horses such as prizes at a rodeo, and you've told the officer/agent this, they could label you as a commercial driver. If your trailer is plastered with sponsor emblems, they most likely will label you as a commercial driver. If you haul livestock for hire, you are a commercial driver. There was a saying during World War Two, "loose lips sink ships". Don't offer information not asked for.

  Depending on your weight (truck and loaded trailer) CDL requirements vary as well. If you are big enough to require air brakes then you definitely need a CDL.

  Generally to not need a CDL your total weight must be under 26,001 pounds.   Some states vary on the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) of the trailer, most are at 10,000 but a few have 14,000.

  Your CDL should also allow you to drive interstate (between states) rather than just intrastate (within the state). CDLs come in three classes, A, B and C. Usually all you need is a Class A license.

  We suggest you start here and look at each state's DMV web site to see if they require you to have a CDL.   If necessary you should call or email those states.

  The below information we hope is accurate but when in doubt contact the appropriate DMV.

  An exemption for farmers/ranchers exists but it is limited to a radius of 150 miles from your farm/ranch.

  Here in Washington state you need a CDL if your vehicle weighs 26,001 pounds or more. Vehicles hauling trailers weighing 10,001 pounds or more with a combined weight of 26,001 pounds or higher requires a CDL. And remember, that includes the animal's weight. And if you have a camper on the back of your pick-up that needs to be included as well.

  Oregon requires a CDL for operation of vehicles weighing 26,001 pounds or more.

  California requires that any fifth-wheel trailer (goose-neck) with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds to 15,000 pounds requires a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement and anything with a gross   vehicle weight rating over 15,000 pounds requires a class A non-commercial license.

  Idaho requires a CDL when a vehicle and trailer with a combined gross vehicle weight rating is 26,001 pounds or more, provided that the weight of the vehicle being towed is over 10,000 pounds.

  Montana requires a CDL when a vehicle and trailer with a combined gross vehicle weight rating is 26,001 pounds or more, provided that the weight of the vehicle being towed is over 10,000 pounds.

  Wyoming requires a CDL when a vehicle and trailer with a combined gross vehicle weight rating is 26,001 pounds or more, provided that the weight of the vehicle being towed is over 10,000 pounds.

  Nevada requires a CDL when a vehicle and trailer with a combined gross vehicle weight rating is 26,001 pounds or more, provided that the weight of   the vehicle being towed is over 10,000 pounds. The exception is for   "recreational vehicles". The officer or agent may or may not deem   your truck and trailer combination to be a "recreational vehicle".

  Utah requires a CDL when a single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating   (GVWR) is 26,001 pounds or more or a trailer with a GVWR of more than   10,000 pounds if the gross combination weight rating is more than 26,001   pounds (both truck and trailer).

  Arizona requires a Class A CDL if you will drive a combination vehicle (truck   and trailer) whose trailer has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,001   pounds or more and whose total weight with the truck is 26,001 pounds or   more. If you will drive a vehicle whose GVWR is 26,001 pounds or more, you   will need a Class B CDL. With this license, you can also tow a trailer whose   weight does not exceed 10,000 pounds.

  Texas requires a class A CDL when the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of   the truck and trailer together are greater than or equal to 26,001 pounds and   the trailer alone has a GVWR greater than 10,000 pounds.


Coggins required for interstate   movement between Washington, Oregon and Idaho - January 2017 - Coggins   Exemption Lifted: Notice to Horse Owners: An agreement between Idaho, Oregon   and Washington exempting Coggins testing for transport of horses across state   lines has been lifted. According to Idaho State Department of Agriculture   officials, horses being transported between the three states will be required   to have a Coggins test from an accredited veterinarian in the last 12 months.   The rule is currently being processed through state government channels and   will be rescinded in the coming weeks. The agreement is being removed because   of positive tests found in Idaho and the neighboring states. State veterinary   officials believe it's no longer appropriate to keep the testing exemption in   place. For more information contact the Idaho State Department of Agriculture   or the Idaho Horse Council.

  On February 10th 2017 Oregon DOA sent a letter to Veterinarians notifying   them that the Oregon Department of Agriculture is terminating the Memorandum   of Understanding between Oregon, Washington and Idaho. Horses in the three   states have been testing positive for Equine Infectious Anemia or EIA.   Importation requirements for Oregon will include a CVI (certificate of   veterinary inspection), entry permit and a negative Coggins test within the   prior six months of entry. Questions? Oregon DOA 503-986-4680


Transporting OUT of Washington State


Washington State Rule Change Effective 1/30/15 NEW


Washington   Health Requirements


Idaho Health Requirements


Montana Health   Requirements   News Release - Stock Travel Requirements, New requirement as of 1/1/15


Oregon Health Requirements


Wyoming Health   Requirements


California Health Requirements


Arizona   Health Requirements


Utah Health Requirements


New Mexico Health Requirements


Nevada Health Requirements


British Columbia Canada Health Requirements


Weather and Traffic Info (Washington State DOT site) 


Washington State travelers map (Washington State DOT site) 


Washington   State Interstate Exit Guide


Bordering   State and Province travel




Coggins - Equine Infectious Anemia   (EIA)


Entering Yellowstone National Park

   As there are a number of trails that come in to the park from outside the   park boundary, you should have your paperwork with you at all times, even if   having started your ride from a trailhead inside the park. Rangers have no   way of knowing where you started from and can ask to see your paperwork.


Entering   Grand Canyon National Park

Go with   the Flow:
  As a safety precaution, commercial mule strings have the right-of-way. Riders   must pull off the trail and yield, backtracking if necessary.

Travel in these directions during specific times:

  • Bright        Angel Trail Downhill After 9 am in summer (April to October); 10 am in        winter (November to March) 
  • Uphill        Phantom Ranch to Indian Garden—arrive by 10 am in summer or 10:30 am in        winter and wait for concessionaire mule strings; or depart Phantom Ranch        after 1 pm in summer or 2 pm in winter
  • Uphill        Indian Garden to Trailhead–after noon
  • South        Kaibab Trail Downhill after 1 pm Uphill after 7:30 am in summer; after 9        am in winter
  • North        Kaibab Trail Downhill before 7 am
  • Uphill        Phantom Ranch to Supai Tunnel—anytime
  • Uphill        Supai Tunnel to Trailhead—after 2:30 pm only; stage at Cottonwood        Campground, departing no earlier than 12:30 pm so you leave Supai Tunnel        after Canyon Trail Rides 

Day Use: No permits required for day   use. Prior to riding from the South Rim, check in with the Backcountry   Information Center and XanterraLivery Management.
  On the North Rim, check in with the Backcountry Information Center and Canyon   Trail Rides.

Backcountry permits: Overnight use on the North Rim or at Inner Canyon   campsites requires a permit from the Grand Canyon Permits Office. Submit a   backcountry permit request form on the first of the month, four months prior   to the start date.

Fees: $10 processing plus $5 for each person and $5 for each equine   per night.

North Rim Horse Camp: (May 15 to November 1; water may be shut off   earlier, weather depending) One site; 0.25 miles (0.4 km) north of the North   Kaibab Trailhead; pit toilet, picnic table, campfire ring, potable water, and   small corral. One person must camp with stock. Maximum six equines, six   people, and two vehicles; maximum trailer length 30 feet (9 m).

Tuweep Campground: No camping; no trailers.

Inner Canyon:
  Bright Angel Campground, near Phantom Ranch, and Cottonwood Campground, along   the North Kaibab Trail, each accept one equine group per night. Phantom Ranch   guests must have one person camp with the animals; hitching rail provided, no   corral available; permit required.

South Rim Horse Camp: Two sites at Mather Campground include picnic   tables, campfire rings, water, two corrals with water troughs, and feeders.   Restrooms nearby. No electricity. Per site maximum of six equines, six   people, and two vehicles; maximum trailer length 30 feet (9 m). $25 per site   per night. Reservations: 877-444-6777 or   

Feed and Water:

Feed: Clean trailers, hooves, coat, mane, and tails prior to entering   the park. Feed stock weed-free forage or processed feed a few days before the   trip. To prevent introducing non-native plants in the park, use only certified   weed-free forage— hay, straw, and mulch. Proof of certification tags   required. Forage may not be taken beyond trailheads. Use pelletized feed, hay   cubes, and grain products in the backcountry. Do not leave feed on the   ground; use a feedbag or tarp. Pack out unused feed. Grazing not permitted.

Storage: Feed should be stored in rodent-proof containers. At camp,   use a long rope to hang feed from pack poles.

Water: Available at Indian Garden day-use area and Bright Angel and   Cottonwood campgrounds. Animals may be watered directly from natural water   sources where streams cross maintained trails. Equines cannot linger in   stream crossings; use collapsible canvas buckets to transport water.


Entering   Bryce Canyon National Park


  Kathleen Gonder, 435-834-4741

Revised Rules for Horseback Riding Take Effect February, 1 2015 at Bryce   Canyon National Park

  Bryce Canyon National Park initiated a public comment period for 30 days   beginning March 26, 2014 regarding proposed changes for users of   privately-owned stock on designated horse trails within the park. Changes are   intended to ensure the safety of all visitors and to protect park resources.   Trails open to horseback riding are steep and narrow given the terrain below   the Canyon rim and offer limited space for stock groups to pass. It is the   intent of the park, the trail ride concessionaire and private equestrian   users to promote, and be proactive in, equestrian safety and safe trail use.     The new rules below take effect February 1, 2015. Details and   specific requirements can be found at:

  Park Superintendent Jeff Bradybaugh thanked the many people that responded   during the public comment period: “Approximately 400 individuals or organizational   representatives responded and provided comments via mail, phone, and   principally by e-mail. With expert assistance from the park’s trail ride   concessionaire and officers from Backcountry Horsemen of Utah, the park has   analyzed the issues and public comments and has devised solutions. Bryce   Canyon National Park appreciates the many constructive comments and   suggestions provided and we have utilized them in finalizing rules for   private equestrian use at the park.” An analysis of issues, comments and solutions   can be found at the web site listed above.

Required Use of Guides

  The park initially proposed that all private equestrians would be required to   hire a guide to maximize safety and reduce trail conflicts. Respondents   universally felt a guide was unneeded.  The new rules will not require   private equestrians to hire a guide. Park Rangers will discuss safety   procedures, Leave No Trace and trail etiquette during private equestrian   groups check-in, similar to long-established procedures at the park, but will   provide greater emphasis on trail directional routing (one-way only), areas   of steep or narrow trails, and the area with two-way horse traffic.   Eliminating the guiding requirement places responsibility on all equestrian   users to carefully adhere to trip scheduling and directional routing on the   park horse trails to maximize safety.


  Scheduling for private riding parties was recommended by most respondents and   will be used as a technique to avoid potential crowding, encounters with   concession rides and to help alleviate associated safety concerns. Park   staff, concessionaire and officers from Backcountry Horsemen of Utah examined   scheduling options at different times of day. Departure times for private   equestrian groups from the concession day corral will be: 7:30am; 12:30pm;   4:30pm and every half hour thereafter up to 1 hour before sunset.    Private equestrians will be required to schedule their ride for one of these   times at least 72 hours in advance by contacting the Park via e-mail:

Trail Routing and Wayfinding

  Trail routing will remain the same as it is currently. Additional signage   will be added to assist equestrians in route finding where trails intersect   and to provide users with directions for safe flow. Scheduling of both   private equestrian rides and concession trail rides will be used to minimize   2-way encounters of horse ride groups moving in opposite directions on the   portion of the trail between the Rim and the head of Binkie Hollow (Falling   Rock) and to maintain safe separation of groups on one-way sections,   particularly on the west side of the Peek-a-Boo Loop where the trail is   exceptionally steep and narrow.

Equestrian Group Size

  A number of respondents commented that specifying group size may assist in   managing equestrian safety and use. Most private equestrians visiting the   park consist of groups of less than 8 riders and horses. For safety reasons,   the park trail ride concession must maintain a guide to guest ratio of 1   guide per 10 riders or less. The park has established a limit of 10 riders   and their mounts per private equestrian group.

Equine Health and Testing for Equine Infectious Anemia (Coggins Testing)

  Equine Infectious Anemia is an infectious disease of horses for which there   is no vaccine, treatment or cure. Utah law requires that all stock entering   from outside of Utah must have a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection and the   certificate must show a negative Equine Infectious Anemia (Coggins) test   within the past 12 months. This applies to stock domiciled in Utah that leave   Utah and subsequently return to the State. Equines domiciled in the State   that do not leave Utah are not required to have a Certificate of Veterinary   Inspection nor documentation of a negative Equine Infectious Anemia (Coggins)   test. Park staff, concessionaire and officers from Backcountry Horsemen of   Utah discussed these requirements and Park staff consulted with the State   Veterinarian’s Office, Utah Department of Agriculture and Food, in order to   develop a practical rule in compliance with state law and protective of   equine health.

  The following requirements will be in place for the park and apply to   concession, privately-owned or NPS-owned or contracted horses and mules:

  a) All stock brought to the park that originate from outside of Utah must   have a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (valid for 30 days) and the   certificate must show a negative Equine Infectious Anemia (Coggins - AGID or   ELISA) test within the past 12 months.

  b) Utah equestrians must certify that their animals have not left the State   in the past 6 months; otherwise the requirements for Certificate of   Veterinary Inspection and a negative Coggins test will apply.

  c) Utah law requires that owners of any horses being transported within Utah,   whether originating in Utah or from another State must carry proof of   ownership. Approved forms of proof of ownership are found at the Utah   Department of Agriculture and Food web site:

  Proof of ownership will also be used to verify the requirement for a   Certificate of Veterinary Inspection and Coggins testing, for out-of-state   horses.

  d) Rangers will check the documentation described above prior to stock being allowed   in the park and equestrians will be required to provide proper documentation   and certify that their stock meet these requirements.

  Bryce Canyon National Park greatly appreciates the many constructive comments   and suggestions provided by the public. We encourage equestrians to visit the   web site listed above to find detailed information on horseback riding and to   help them plan and enjoy their equestrian experience in Bryce Canyon National   Park.


  Kathleen Gonder, Chief of Interpretation and Visitor Information, Bryce   Canyon National Park, 435-834-4740 (Office) 435-690-0084 (Cell)


Entering   Zion National Park

   Phone conversation with the Park Superintendent at Zion NP 10/6/14 9:06 am   PST. A couple things of note.

  There is a concessionaire and private stock is not allowed on the same trails   as the concessionaire while the concessionaire is operating in the park   (March through October).

  So far as weed-free feed - it’s only for an overnight stay (limited to one   night). No requirement for day-use! Strange? Yes! But that is how it   is. They need some way to verify it’s weed free, so if that’s the string in a   bale, original bag, or bucket, that’s what it needs to be in. Start feeding   at least 48 hours before your visit.

  State of Utah requirements - All livestock transported within or entering the   state must have a valid health certificate issued by a certified veterinarian   in the state of origin. In addition to the health certificate, all horses   must also have had a negative Coggins test within the last year. Zion is   simply verifying you have the documentation by asking for it.


Entering Joshua Tree National Park

   For equine movements into the state, California requires a valid Certificate   of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), issued within 30 days before entry, and   evidence of a negative Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA) test performed at a   USDA-approved laboratory within twelve (12) months before the date of entry.   An EIA test "pending" result does not meet the entry requirement.

  California import requirements specify that all horses, cattle, sheep, goats   and swine originating from any state where vesicular stomatitis (VS) has been   diagnosed, (except cattle and swine transported directly to slaughter), must   be accompanied by a health certificate (certificate of veterinary inspection)   and signed by an accredited veterinarian that includes the following   statement:

  "I have examined all the animals identified on this certificate and   found them to be free from signs of Vesicular Stomatitis (VS). During the   last thirty (30) days, these animals have not been exposed to VS nor located   within a 10 mile radius of a premises where VS has been diagnosed."



Top of Page 


General Tips


Animated Knots (a series of images)


American Horse Council


Back Country Horsemen's   Worldwide Chatter Box


Capitol Forest dot com privately run web site all things Capitol State Forest


Capitol Forest Yahoo Group discuss issues with other users and DNR


Center for Outdoor Ethics   Leave-No-Trace Program


DNR Lands State map showing Regions, DNR Regions web page


Equestrians   Institute (Driving, Eventing, Dressage) New


Equine Land Conservation Resource Youtube video   Equss Special Report - Losing Ground: The Greatest Threat


Functional Horsemanship   Tie a High-Line (and other useful information)


Gmap4 Enhanced Google mapping (Satellite, Topo, even Canadian   Topo maps; overlay KML or other file types on the map)


Green Trails Maps


Horse Riding Safety for Lightning Storms


Horse Riding Tips




High Sierra Packer's   Association




National Outdoor Leadership   School


Northwest Horse Source magazine


Washington Assoc. of Competitive   Mounted Orienteering


Washington   State Horse Park


Washington State   Livestock Coalition and Facebook


Washington Wildlife and   Recreation Coalition


Weed Science Society of America



Top of Page 


Trails and Horse Camps


Capitol Riders list   of horse camps with coordinates and camp   information


Banner Forest   - Kitsap County Park


Blue Lake   horse trail (Site doesn't let you preview maps before purchase) Maps   come on tough tear proof paper


Federal Lands Recreation web   site


GORP - Great Outdoor   Recreation Pages


Horse & Mule   Trail Guide USA


Horseback Riding Trails   - by state


International Horse Directory (stables, arenas and more)


John Wayne Pioneer Wagons and   Riders Association


King   County Executive Horse Council   (includes horse trail information and links)


Lewis &   Clark State Park (has 5   miles of horse trail)


Mount Baker - Snoqualmie NF


National Park Service


National Park   Service Rivers, Trails, and Conservation Assistance Program


Okanogan   National Forest


Okanogan-Wentachee National Forest Horse Riding Trails


Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest Horse Camps with a brochure describing camps


Olympic   Discovery Trail - LaPush to Port Townsend


Olympic National Park, Current Trail Conditions


Olympic   National Park equestrian info


Pacific Crest Trail Association


Pacific Crest Trail Association - Equestrian Center 


Pierce   County - Foothills Trail   (the single county horse trail)


Thurston   County trails (see info regarding equestrian   use)


Trailsource   trails


Umatilla National Forest Pomeroy District Trails


US Bureau of Land Management


US   Forest Service Interactive Map


Washington Horseback Riding Trails


Washington State Department of Natural Resources Recreation


Washington Trails Association trail reports


Wenatchee National Forest Horse Camps GORP site


West Fork Humptulips river trail   description (WTA site) USFS web page USFS Ranger District web   page (recreation report)  River photo



Top of Page 


Packing with Horse or Mule


Packing   with Horses


Books - Mt Canary Company


Packing   Tips


Leave No Trace Ultralight horse packing


PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) equestrian info


Long Riders on the PCT


Trail Journals


Sandy's (Wade ?) journal 1985 PCT ride





Weed-Free   Feed notes


Washington State Department of   Agriculture - Weed-Free   Hay Program (link to growers is here)
  Check your local feed stores as well.

Thurston County -
  Sharon Barner, Owner
  3614C Black Lake Blvd SW
  Tumwater, WA 98512
  (1 to 2 weeks notice please)

  Carol Ptak
  Griffon Ranch
  (360) 736-0674
  certified weed free grass hay at $7/bale
  No minimum bales required


  Merten Ranch
  1011 Tucker Rd
  PO Box 1377
  Toledo WA 98591
  (360) 864-8848
  WWHAM Certified Weed Free Hay


Horse   treat recipes



Top of Page 


Camp cooking


Member's   favorites


3 Prime Rib recipes   (all use rock salt, one uses a camp stove) 2 page PDF


Troop 26 BSA Parkville MD - 500 Dutch Oven recipes (PDF 689 Kb)


Campfire Cooking (1125 recipes by (PDF 5.39 Mb with images)


Chuck   Wagon Supply


Dutch Oven cooking   including recipes


Housatonic Council BSA Derby CT - 850+ Recipes


How many coals should I use? ( Lodge Briquette Chart )


International   Dutch Oven Society


Lodge Cast Iron Manufacturing recipes




Old   West cooking


West   Virginia Department of Agriculture - Cast Iron Cookbook I


West   Virginia Department of Agriculture - Cast Iron Cookbook II


Wilderness   Society Camp-Fire Cookbook


Troop 1577   BSA Herndon VA - DO Cookbook


Idaho   State University - DO Cookbook


Utah State University - DO Cooking


University of Idaho - DO Cooking


North Dakota 4-H - DO Cooking


Rising Star BSA - DO Cooking


Dutchin for Dummies


Girl   Scouts of Greater Los Angeles - DO Recipes


Iowa State Fair - Demonstration DO Recipes


Indiana Wild Game Recipes


Camp Chef Cast Iron Recipes


Troop 288 BSA DO Dessert Recipes


Dutch Oven Ravioli Lasagna


Slow Cooker To Dutch Oven Conversion



Top of Page 


Other groups (non-BCHW)


American Mule   Association


Appleatchee Riders


Clark County   Saddle Club, Facebook


Kitsap Lady Trail Riders


Kitsap Saddle Club, Facebook   (closed group)


The Long   Riders Guild


McCleary Riders (disbanded)


Meridian Riding   Club


Mossyrock   Horse and Riders, Facebook


Mt Adams Trail Riders


Old People's   Riding Club


Roslyn Riders, Facebook


South Seattle   Saddle Club


Washington   State Horsemen


Western Washington Longears



Top of Page 




Centers for   Disease Control and Prevention (National) West Nile Virus information 


Equine First Aid in the Back Country


Henneke Body Condition Scoring System


Holistic Veterinary West Nile info


Hove care


Horse Diseases


Horse Health   Spa


Horse Kinetics


Horse   Scoring with photos


Merck Veterinary Manual


Net Vet - Horse


Rehabilitating the neglected horse


Washington State Department   of Health West Nile Virus information 


West Nile Virus Activity in the state of Washington 

Washington State Department of Health
  Office of Environmental Health, Safety, and Toxicology
  PO Box 47825, Olympia, WA 98504-7825
  Phone: 360-236-3385 Toll Free: 1-877-485-7316





Grooming 101


Natural Grooming Guidelines (non-show)



Top of Page 




Hooved Animal Rescue of   Thurston County


Washington State Animal   Response Team (WASART)



Stables and Arenas


Flying M Stables - calendar listing


boarding farms






Emergency Preparedness


Evacuation and   other topics


Washington State Animal   Response Team (WASART)


Washington   State Search and Rescue


Personal, Family and Animal Preparedness


Thurston   County CERT Training Free.   CERT (Community Emergency Response Teams) is a 20-hour training program that   prepares you to help yourself, family, neighbors and co-workers in the event   of a disaster. It was created in 1985 by the Los Angeles City Fire Department   and adopted by FEMA in 1993.


Washington State   Ham Radio Clubs (not complete) Why list this?   It's all about communication. When the phones are out these folks can get   through to anywhere in the world.


Red Cross pet checklist


FEMA livestock Guidelines for disaster